Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Universal Healthcare" - a look at France with a comparison to the US

We follow a blog called Paris Missives which I discovered prior to moving here.  It is also a gay couple who are ex-pats living in France.  He wrote a well written blog on the healthcare that is provided to us here in France.  We are almost on this system...hopefully within the next month we will finally have it.  In the meantime, we have been using private insurance provided through E's work.

Since I have had several people asks me about how healthcare works here, I thought I would sum it up by pointing you to his blog to have a read!  :)


Thanks to Randy and Jack!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I've been having health issues (kidney stones) for the past week, and have already had an SOS medicin, lab tests (MRI & X-Rays), a followup with doctor, all in one week, and Monday I see a urologists. This would never progress this fast in US. I was in ER in US in September and bill cost me $4k for very little. Out of pocket thus far I think I spent 180€ which most will be refunded back to me. What is wrong with our US healthcare system, it's soley profit based! Oh well... While I live in Paris, I'm going to take advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! I feel your pain with the kidney stones....they are insanely awful!!! I had 2 last fall during the beginning of my pregnancy and they were horrible. I hope that they get to bottom of it quickly. It is true that things move so quickly here. We have been amazed that healthcare is so inexpensive here. We are paying out of pocket, right now, but are being reimbursed for everything but it still shocks us that we can even afford to pay out of pocket.

      Delete