Wednesday, March 7, 2012

French healthcare tidbits

A few things keep sticking in my mind that I have encountered while having appointments.  Today, I had to have blood drawn.  They insisted on sticking me twice to get my blood because I had two separate orders for blood draws...yet, they were both from the same midwife just written at different times.  Odd but I didn't argue or ask questions perhaps I should have.  Oh wait, that would have required I speak French.  I was also shocked at how expensive the labs were compared to the rest of the healthcare expenses we have encountered.  It was 101 Euros for 4 tests.  I had to have a toxoplasmosis test (required when you are pregnant...in fact, most women get tested for this every month of their pregnancy), a rubella test (another one not common in the US), Group B strep (which is common in the US but done via a vaginal culture and not a blood test), and a blood type test because I don't have a "blood card" which verifies my blood type.

I had a trip to the ER recently and after waiting about 4-5 hours, triage, a visit with the doctor, an ultrasound of my legs, and a final visit with the dr, our total was 75 euros.  That is the total for the whole bill not a co-pay or a portion...but what we would pay without insurance.  Luckily, we will be reimbursed that through our temporary insurance.

Have I mentioned how much I love my midwife visits?  She either comes to our home or recently, we have been going to her home because she is about a 6 minute walk away and her husband will most likely be caring for Little One while I am in labor.  We are getting him used to her apartment, girls, and husband...which he doesn't seem to have any issues with because he loves all of the toys!  Her visits are all of 40 euros which is also reimbursed.  Usually, you only see a midwife or OB once a month here while pregnant even late in pregnancy but we have decided on every 3 weeks to get to know her better.  It has worked out nicely and is a nice break from going once a week in the final month.  I believe the total cost for a homebirth (which we are planning!) is 1000 euros which will be reimbursed to us by our insurance.  In general, healthcare is so much more affordable here.  The pediatric appointments cost of 35 euros which the doctor said he feel awful charging us so much...ha!  It would be 10 times that without insurance in the US!

The lack of modesty that I must have has continued with all of my appointments.  I have frequently dropped my pants in front of a few doctors now...  No paper gowns here or cloth ones for that matter!

-L

1 comment:

  1. A trip to the ER? It sounds like everything is okay, but that must have been worrisome... Was it an issue with your legs? I've been wondering about that since I saw another post in which you mentioned wearing compression hose. Is it typical to have leg issues in pregnancy?

    As for the rubella test, C had to get that recently too. It was before insemination, though. I wonder if they would have tested for it if she'd come in already pregnant.

    Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the health care is affordable there! Having the midwife come to your house has to be so nice! I'm really excited to hear more about your plans for a home birth! I think that is such a great way to go if you can swing it. My baby brother was born at home and my older brother and I got to watch. Molly was only a baby at the time and she was asleep. My mom says it was the best birth of all four of her babies.

    ReplyDelete