Thursday, December 15, 2011

More random observations...

L here -

I feel like I need to bring a pad and paper with me or perhaps a recorder.  Although, I am fairly certain I would be getting some weird looks if I had the recorder.

  • Trash bags here have a string that hangs out the bottom.  We have yet to discover why or how to use it to tie the bag.  It is obviously there for a reason...  Today, I was stalking trash bags that were on someone's balcony trying to see what they did with the string.  I couldn't figure it out.
  • It is very quiet here.  Apparently, people have cell phones just don't use them??  I can count the number of people I have seen on their cell phones.  The first time was on a train during rush hour from Paris to suburbs.  She was on it for a few minutes and that was it.  This was in a train car that was literally packed with people with no elbow room.  Yet, she was the only one on her phone.  The second time was today as I was walking in to town through the college campus.  I probably passed about 50 or so college aged kids and only one was on her phone...and she wasn't speaking French, perhaps Japanese.  
  • I am fairly certain that Little One can consume his weight in yogurt.  
  • I had to buy E toothpaste for her business trip.  I had to go to the pharmacy to buy this that was connected to the grocery store but had to make 2 separate purchases.  Second - I found toothbrushes and children's toothpaste but couldn't find adult toothpaste.  Finally, the phamacist asked if he could help me (at least, that is what I think he said).  I couldn't remember what E had told me toothpaste was called in French so finally, he asked me if I spoke English...ah, yes!  Then he had no idea what "toothpaste" was...  I showed him the children's and asked him for the adult kind.  That worked.  Toothpaste is kept behind the counter and their are several different brands...none of which looked remotely familiar to me.  When he asked which one I wanted, I told him whatever he recommended.  He gave me the toothpaste he has been using for 30 years.  Good.  
  • There is a French version of A Baby Story...it scared me.  E told me to stop watching it...I haven't watched it since.
  • Friends comes on here every evening and is dubbed over in French.  I can't stand to watch it because it is just weird to hear different voices for the characters that I know and love.  Simpsons is also another weird one to watch dubbed in French.
  • The weather is given on the Children's station everyday for the whole country...I understand it better than the regular weather.  Haha!
We found out our stuff won't be arriving until February some time...  I don't even know how to feel about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment