Sunday, December 4, 2011

Franglais

In general, English translations here are pretty decent, but sometimes you come across one whose author surely meant well, but failed miserably.  Franglais, part 1: these were some of the instructions on the dryer at the hotel:
 My favorite part of this quote is the conversation that I imagine happening between the translator and a colleague at the time of the translation: "Hey, Alex!  How do you say 'défoulés' in English? ... No idea? ... ok then... ah, screw it.  They'll figure it out."

As for the assertion that wollens are more mellow, I'm not even sure what the intended word was.  But I kind of like it: knit clothes are more mellow, I suppose, than their woven counterparts...

2 comments:

  1. At first I was thinking "laundry," but suddenly found myself at "wine"... Maybe someone was drinking while giving laundry advice? Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, that's already a step up from the google translator

    ReplyDelete