Saturday, April 14, 2012

Little Guy needs a Speedo.

I took the little guy to the swimming pool here a couple of days ago.  Actually, I should say swimming pools - our local sports center is HUGE and includes 3 pools (50m olympic, 25m, and kiddie pool).  We only tried out the kiddie pool, but I am looking forward to getting into the larger pool for some laps, one of these days.

The little one LOVED the community pool in Portland (and who wouldn't?  It had a 3 story waterslide!) but it has sadly been 6 months.  In toddler time, this basically means we are starting from scratch in terms of comfort-level in the water.  We definitely need to get back more regularly. 

As with every adventure here, though, things at the pool are a little different.  First off, the changing rooms.  As I walked in, I noticed that everyone was actually obeying the rule to take your shoes off before going into the locker room.  Fair enough.  I sat down, took both of our shoes off, and then proceeded to walk into the locker room... through the 4 inch deep, 5 foot wide moat of pool water that separates the locker room from the entry area.  These guys aren't kidding about taking off your shoes.  I didn't think to look down, so the little one and I had 4 soggy inches of pants apiece.  Ah well, chalk it up to inexperience.  Then, I enter the locker room and see a dad and his son.  Wrong locker room?  Nope.  Coed!  The locker room is coed, but ringed by individual changing cubicles.  Which is logical, really, because the pool is coed.  Why should the space where you store your clothes be any different?  But coming from a country where I have never, ever seen a coed locker room, again, it just takes a little mental readjustment.  Oh well.  I put the little guy in his swim diaper and trunks, and off we went, through another 4 inch, 5 foot moat of pool water to get out to the pool deck. 

Then, into the pool.  The little guy was content hanging out on the first step (in 3 inches of water) for the first 15 minutes.  After a couple of minutes, the lifeguard approached me and told me she was very sorry, but that only bathing suits could be worn in the pool and that they do not allow boxer shorts.  Boxer shorts?  It took me a second to realize she was referring to the little guy's swim trunks.  Then it dawned on me that every single guy there, from 2 to 99, was wearing a speedo.  No exceptions.  I explained to the lifeguard that this actually was a bathing suit.  She was astounded.  "I've never seen one of these before," she said.  "What country is it from?"

Since I don't want to have to explain this to every lifeguard at every city pool, I guess we'll be getting the little guy a speedo.

- E

4 comments:

  1. omg. You guys are gonna be true Europeans with speedos!!! Can't wait to see photos of this! They will be really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say how much I enjoy this blog? Seriously, you gals brighten my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mental note.... JNB isn't swimming in france. Or should I just go into the pool wearing boxer briefs? Or are those not allowed because they are boxers? But wait, they are tight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh so hard! LO is going to look so adorbs in a speedo.

    ReplyDelete