Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bike Commuting: a photo essay

On my bike ride home last night, I realized that over the 10 km ride I pass through a variety of different areas that range from super urban to totally rural... all within sight of the tip of the Eiffel tower, which is visible from outside my office.  The Paris region is funny in that you can be totally in the city one minute, and driving past rolling hills and farmland the next.  On my way home tonight, I snapped some quick photos of my commute to share on the blog.  I commute home just as the sun is starting to set, which means the light wasn't great for my little point-and-shoot camera, but hopefully these do the trick.

I work on a plateau about 20km outside of Paris that is home to numerous tech companies, and is smack in the middle of farmland and old homesteads that I guarantee were built long before the state of Oregon was established.  Once I leave work, the first few km of my commute is actually through farm fields.  I have no idea what grows here, but in the area in general they appear to grow lots and lots of cabbage and hearty winter greens that can stand a good hard frost.  From here, I head into the woods you can see in the distance.



This part of my commute is super quiet.  Today I saw one other cyclist and a runner, but otherwise the trail was all mine.  This probably represents about 3 km of my ride.  Once I get out of the woods, I join up with a freshly paved dog poop repository bike path that runs alongside the dedicated bus lanes towards the city of Massy; where we live.  Traffic here is awful at rush hour, but busses enjoy a separate road so thay they can cruise right down into the valley towards the train station.  On the way to work, this is all uphill - my lungs heave and my legs burn, and by the time I get to work I am sweating even though the temp in the morning is below freezing.  On the way home, I get to fly along this downhill in about 20% of the time it takes me to climb it in the morning!


Again, no cars to speak of on this part of the road.  This path leads straight to a bus/train station, which is a hub for busses, Paris region trains called RER, and the famous TGV.  After 7km of car-free bliss, my senses are even more sensitive to the assault of diesel fumes and road noise.  Right by the TGV station is Massy's urban renewal zone, full of shiny new tech company buildings, modern condos, and tons of construction of new high-density urban housing.



 From here, I pass under an old (but still used) train bridge and into the older section of town, which feels decidedly more "French".  This area is full of bakeries, cafés, Turkish and Greek sandwich (gyros) shops, and old ladies walking with grocery carts.



Seriously, the difference in feeling once I pass under the train bridge is unreal - it doesn't even feel like the same city.  From here, it's only another 1.5km home to our little apartment.


We have been terrible about putting photos up on the blog, and I promise to try and improve our odds on this.  We made a conscious choice, when we started the blog, not to post photos of ourselves or of the little one.  There was no particularly strong reason for this (hell, we post photos on facebook all the time), but for now the decision still feels right so we are sticking with it.  That shouldn't mean, however, that we don't post photos at all!

The apartment is coming together - we unpacked the last boxes a few days ago.  I promise to post apartment pics once the place is cleaned up!

- E

4 comments:

  1. Kinda jealous of this commute. When I head from Manhattan to New Brunswick, NJ (where Rutgers is).. I get on the NJ Transit commuter train about 6 blocks from my apt, and sit for an hour. Then I walk two blocks to a bus and sit on that for 15 minutes. Nowhere near as nice as your mixed terrain urban/rural bike commute. I don't even have any of my bicycles here in the city, which is a major shame.

    I am looking forward to pictures of the apartment and to see how you decorated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so great - imagine how nice it will be when the weather warms up! I did some travelling in France last summer with my folding bike but I didn't actually go to Paris. I will definitely have to plan another trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before the arrival of my bike, my commute was a 10 minute walk, then a 6 minute train ride (yes, really), then a 20 minute bus ride. In the morning it was decent but in the evening the bus would never arrive on schedule and I often had to wait for a train that would stop at my station, so the whole evening ordeal could take an hour.

    Chris - I have not been able to bike in Paris yet but once the weather warms up I plan on it! Paris now has a service called Vélibre, in which bikes are available at kiosks all over the city. You swipe a key fob to check out a bike, and then check it in again at your destination. Washington DC and Montreal also have similar offerings and they are SUPER convenient since once you subscribe, the first 30 minutes on the bike are free. To go for longer, you simply check the bike in at a kiosk along the way and then keep on going.

    I have never ridden a folding bike but I would love to try one out! They have intrigued me for a long time - bring-your-own transportation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool! I love that idea of bike rental kiosks! Now that I see you ride 6.2 miles to work and 6.2 miles home each day, I'm wondering how many miles it actually is to my work...let me check...16.9 miles. Yeah...not gonna do that. lol. I would love someday to work close enough to home that I could ride to work and back. I bet it is super peaceful on much of the ride and that you appreciate having that time to just let your mind wander. That is what I cherished so much about taking the max when I didn't own a car.

    ReplyDelete