Sunday, November 27, 2011

From Bures to the Marché de Noël

At breakfast this morning I learned about the Christmas markets that are set up all over Paris during this time of year.  The largest of the bunch is on the Champs Elysées - 170 temporary vendor chalets are set up along both sides of the boulevard, along with carousels, a small ice skating rink, kids' roller coasters, and a "museum" boasting 200 animated exotic animals.  Needless to say I skipped the last attraction, but I did decide to head into the city to check out the market.

While L is most definitely the photographer in the family, I did bring along our small point-and-shoot camera to give all of you a sense of where I'm living now (Bures), along with a few photos from the market.  Below is my temporary apartment (top floor, right side).  It's incredibly well set up, with a few luxuries (electric towel-warming rack!) that I know we won't have in our apartment.

Résidhome Bures sur Yvette
 
From here, it's a 10 minute walk through the woods into the village of Bures, where I catch the RER-B line into Paris.

Chemin de la Fontaine Saint Matthieu

RER-B station, Bures-sur-Yvette

From the Bures station, it's about 30 minutes to the center of Paris.  There is an extensive metro network through the city, but from many of the city center stations it's just as easy to walk.  And since walking builds up an appetite, I decided to stop along the street and get a snack: another sandwich!  I know that at some point these amazing little bundles of meat and bread will lose their appeal - but until then, I remain amazed at how inexpensive and delicious they are.  And they're everywhere!  Today's selection came with butter and not mayonnaise, but no matter: it was still delectable.  The scenery at lunch wasn't bad, either.

Sandwich!  Nom nom nom...

On to the market: today was gray and cloudy, and I have a feeling that the place feels a lot more magical after dark when all of the Christmas lights are lit, but nonetheless it was nice to walk around, people-watch, and check out the food and wares for sale at the various booths.

Eiffel Tower shaped lollipops

There were typical street-fair foods (cotton candy, candy apples, crepes, waffles, candy) and typical street-fair stuff to buy (scarves, jewelry, cheap toys, anything and everything with "Paris" written on it).  Lots of french fries and hot dogs, but also onion soup, tartiflette (a potato, bacon, and cheese casserole), roasted chestnuts, and even raw oyster bars set up among the booths (don't worry, Mom, I steered clear of the raw oysters).  My favorite booths held incredible wheels of cheese, cured meats and sausages, and other salty delights - although at this point I was still full from my sandwich and chose only to partake of the free samples.  I did, however, give in and try the vin chaud (hot wine).  Spiced with cinnamon and orange slices, it was absolutely delicious!

Raw oysters with fresh lemon served at the open-air market
 
More meat and cheese!  Nom nom nom!

My vin chaud.  Yep, the tree has been sprayed with fake snow for dramatic effect.
 
When L and the little one arrive, it will be fun to head back up here with them and take a carousel ride, maybe try out the skating rink, or ride the ferris wheel.  I'm sure that the market will continue to get more and more crowded as Christmas approaches, but since we will not have any of our stuff by Christmas (it will still be in a container arriving via the Atlantic), it might be nice to see so much holiday kitsch.

Tomorrow also marks my first real day of work (finally!), which is both exciting and bittersweet.  We waited a long time before my work permit and our visas were finalized, and it was incredible to have so many unhurried days with the little one.  However, we can't both be stay at home moms, and I am looking forward to starting a challenging job with an incredible team.  I figure that with only 660 square feet or so to maintain, we can't possibly spend our weekends cleaning the house, which means we should have plenty of time to explore our new city...

- E

4 comments:

  1. OH wow! Looks like you had a great time at the christmas markets! I wish I was there with you! Especially for that hot wine... even I would have liked that I think!

    Good luck on your first day tomorrow! We'll all be thinking of you and can't wait to get an update!

    much love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey

    Nice I didnt know they had the xmas market in France too. I had seen one in Munich years ago.Mmm love food and it all sounds so good!I had this sandwich on a train back from Vienna once and it was amazing and all that was in it was cucumber and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sandwich baguette looks amazing! I could wrap myself in that bread!

    ReplyDelete